If you’re going to buy property in Vancouver ALWAYS GET A BUILDING INSPECTION BY A REGISTERED AND QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR!
Don’t use you Dad’s buddy who used to be a plumber in the 70’s, don’t use your brother-in-law who’s into tools! Hire a professional, its the best cheapest insurance you can get when buying property in Vancouver.
Important Facts about Home Inspectors:
– All Home Inspectors in BC have to be licensed and insured as of March 31 2009. Make sure the person you are working with is licensed and insured by calling the BPCPA Inquiry Centre Toll Free: 1-888-564-9963
– A Home Inspection should cost you between $350-500 and should take about 2-4 hours to complete.
– For condos a Home Inspector should check the suite and the entire building. Within the suite, the Inspector should check the plumbing, the electrical system, the walls, the windows, the flooring, and pretty much everything that is not furniture and personal belongings. Many inspectors DO NOT check appliances. The Home Inspector should check the roof, the building envelope, the parking garage, the lobby, the amenities, the mechanical rooms and any other areas they have access to.
– For houses a Home Inspector should check the roof, the attic, the exterior cladding, the plumbing, the electrical system, the walls, the windows, the flooring, and pretty much everything that is not furniture and personal belongings. Many inspectors DO NOT check appliances.
– Check out the Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors site to learn more about Home Inspectors and what they do.
If you have any questions about Home Inspectors feel free to drop me a line!
Here are some Home Inspectors I like:
Charlie Perkins with Cornerstone Building Inspections 6046186870
Douville Building Inspections 6046264887
James Dobney 6049428272